viernes, marzo 09, 2007

¡¡ Reencuentro (metodista) !!

I'm going to write this post in English in honour to my very friend Pamela.

Pamela and I knew each other in Madrid in 2006. On that time, one year and a hald after I had been studying the last year of my degree, I decided it was a good idea to keep practicing my English. I did not want to get it rusted!! So, even making the effort of reading books in the language of Shakespeare, I decided to have a "language partnet". This was of learning or practicing English was absolutely non-formal. Pamela and I agreed that while we see us, we would speal half of the time in English and half of the time in Spanish.

The time she had to go back to the States arrived. We spent almost a year without seeing each other but we continued our friendship byt email. In our letters we speak about anything is in our minds on that moment: wishes of a good job, comments about a book we both have read, etc.

She knew I got this job by email too and I was amazed when she told me I will see her again... in Nicaragua. She told me she will probably come to Nicaragua on mid-Febreary, as she was working with and NGO called "The Rotary Club".

So Febreary arrived and I did what I could in order to see her. Finally the place of our meeting was Pochomil's beach. She was there with a bunch of American who were all of them methodists. Well, I did not matter too much at that time: I just came to see her, and I got it, right? The "problem" came later: after being with her, speak a bit about what in the world was she doing on that methodist group if she was not methodist and stuff, I was invited to stay with all the mothodists in their house in "El Sauce". Minutes before we arrived there, the one in charge of the methodist group said something like there was gonna have a "communion". I asked Pamela what was that about, but she knew nothing about that. Then was the funny and surrealist part of the story. I was invited to attend that "communion" thing. Once I got into that room, I saw everyone sitted on a circle of chairs and I was invited to have a sit too. But... suddenly, the leader of the methodists asked me, as a favour, to translate every single word of the methodist speech (well... communion.... whatever). I have to say that I did my best. It was not easy at all to try to translate from a language and above all from a religion that you don't know very well. But I strangely felt confident on myself (surely because I had to translate all that to the 2 nica female-cooks that were not methodists but they were evangelist!). Pam, if you read this, I tell you I will never forget that day and above all thing when you were laughing when everyone was praying with closed eyes.

Anyway, after all that, I finally had the time to speak freely with Pamela, laught at all what had just happened and I could enjoy the chocolate she brought me (because she had read in a previous post of my blog that I love chocolate) and she also bought me a book in English I want to read. So Pam, thank you!!

Greetings from Managua and I hope you know you are invited to come here again. Next time we see each other maybe in Chicago or somewhere else in the States. Who knows!! World is getting little to me.

2 comentarios:

José Augusto Domínguez dijo...

¡Vaya espectáculo! ¿Y qué decían de Floyd Landis?

Ya tienes para escribir una novela...

Sergio Ruiz dijo...

Hey Pam!! Siento haber estado perdido tanto tiempo. Pronto me pondré en contacto contigo y pondré fotos del "encuentro metodista". He estado muy muy liado... ya te contaré.